Ellie Rizzo reports in Becker's ASC Review on the Top 25 Highest Paid Physician Specialties for 2014, (This analysis is based on Medcape's recent survey; the same author reported on the top specialists earlier this year using BLS data which applies different metrics). Regarding the Mescape report, there are no surprises among the Top 5:
1. Orthopedics - $413,000 (2 percent increase)
2. Cardiology - $351,000 (2 percent decrease)
3. Urology - $348,000 (2 percent increase)
4. Gastroenterology - $348,000 (2 percent increase)
5. Radiology - $340,000 (2 percent decrease)
Meanwhile, Kathy McCoy details some challenges ahead for some of these very same specialists in a recent article entitled CMS Puts Away the Carrot and Brandishes the Stick. According to Ms. McCoy, physicians face potential Medicare income loss of 9% due to PQRS and Value Based Modifier Program reductions plus Meaningful Use penalties. This translates to reductions in Medicare reimbursements of over $20,000 for an average Cardiologist and over $10,000 for a Gastroenterologist in 2017.